Monday, March 10, 2014

Sunshine!

The last few months of training have been brutal.  Subfreezing temperatures, snow, and ice have made me want to stay inside and hibernate.  I've missed quite a few training runs due to the never ending winter.  It has felt like a daily struggle just to find the motivation to go for a run.  And then, once I get outside, almost every run has felt difficult and slow.  Just one week ago it was a mere 15 degrees Farenheit with windchill dropping the temperature below zero.  I could hardly eat my gel because it was mostly solid.

Today finally felt like spring.  The sun was shining and the snow was melting.  It was 45 degrees out; 30 degrees warmer than the week before! I couldn't resist going out for a short run, even though I had just logged 10 miles the day before.  I also couldn't resist the opportunity to wear shorts!

Shorts and snow
I felt a little silly (and cold) when the wind kicked up right when we walked outside, but after a few minutes I was all warmed up.  A few minutes after that I was wondering why I thought an Under Armour Cold Gear shirt was a good idea.  I was so warm!

Mr. Shoe and I only ran about 2 miles.  I wish we could have stayed out longer, but my legs were just not up for it.  The forecast is calling for more snow and freezing rain this week, so I am glad we were able to take advantage of the nice weather while it lasts. 

Race recap for Hawaii coming up next!  For reals this time!

No comments:

Post a Comment