Sunday, May 4, 2014

A change in focus

With the Glass City Half Marathon behind me, it is time to shift my focus from distance races to improving my 5k time.  Mr. Shoe and I have two 5k races coming up, one on May 10 and one on June 14.  My 5k time has improved quite a bit over the past couple of years, but this is the first time that I am actually following a training plan with that specific goal.

I am following a modified version of Hal Higdon's Advanced 5k training plan.  This plan has a lot more speed work than I am used to.  I have been alternating between tempo runs one week and intervals the next week, but this plan calls for intervals every Tuesday and tempo runs every Thursday.  It will be interesting to see how that goes.  I am looking forward to having less structured long runs, running for time instead of distance.  I think I am going to use that as an opportunity to get off the pavement and hit the trails.   I'm excited to see how this training plan works for me, hopefully I see some awesome results!

Mr. Shoe is also looking to beat his 5k PR (28:17).  I am very confident that he is going to completely smash this time.  Last summer, before his injury, we did a number of 5k training runs together that were in the 25 minute range.  A few weeks ago he did a test run and finished in 24:57.  The fact that his PR hasn't been broken already really comes down to the fact that he only did 3 races last year.  Two at the very beginning of the season and the race in Hawaii after being sidelined by his injury for a few months.

Unfortunately this week has not been an ideal week for training.  I was planning on taking Monday and Tuesday as rest days, but ended up taking Wednesday as well since I was still feeling pretty miserable from my allergies.  Mr. Shoe took an extra rest day early in the week, thinking he would be able to make it up later in the week, only for him to end up feeling too sick too run as well.  We both managed to run on Friday and Sunday, so hopefully the next week goes as planned and we can get to the starting line feeling confident and prepared.

How do you get back on track after a poor week of training? Do you try to make up any missed workouts or do you just skip it and move on?

2 comments:

  1. If I can work a missed workout into my training schedule within one or two days of the missed day without disrupting other workouts or severely inconveniencing myself I'll make it up. Otherwise I write it off as a loss and move on. No sense in dwelling on it or possibly disrupting other workouts trying to make one up. As for the poor training week, I just chalk it up to my body requiring some rest or being fatigued and just look at my new week as a fresh start.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It depends on what I have going on. If I can make up the missed workout in the morning or skip a rest day later in that same week, I'll make it up. If my schedule is packed or my body doesn't want to, I just skip the workout and not worry too much about it.

    ReplyDelete