Friday, October 10, 2014

Not happening.

Yesterday I tried to test out my leg to see if I was able to run at all. My plan was to apply heat, stretch, then head out on a walk. After about a half mile walk (to get everything all nice and warmed up) I was planning to alternate 30-60 seconds of running with 60-90 seconds of walking. Instead I ran approximately 10 steps before the pain started back up.

On one hand my calf used to hurt immediately if I tried to run and I can now run the length of my car without pain, so I am making improvement. On the other hand, a marathon is 26.2 miles and I know that means I would have 10 pain free steps followed by approximately  43,190 extremely painful steps. No thanks!

This morning my doctor diagnosed me with "Calf pain, right." Such insight! And offered up treatment advice that includes "If it hurts, don't run." So helpful!

Advance apologies to everyone I encounter in the next few weeks.
That is probably snarkier than necessary and I should say that my doctor was really nice and definitely felt bad telling me that I shouldn't run the marathon. I was also given a bunch of strengthening exercises and have a follow up appointment booked for October 20th (the day after the marathon). My follow up appointment is booked with the sports medicine doctor in the practice (she was out of the office today, of course!). I was also cleared to continue walking and try swimming, biking, or the elliptical (assuming I can do so pain free). So at least I'll be able to do something for the next few weeks.

I still haven't actually deferred my race. I know that I should. I know that I NEED to. But...I'm just not ready to make it official yet.

4 comments:

  1. "Calf pain, right!" oh, how helpful! So sorry you're dealing with this, wishing you swift recovery!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right?! I was already aware that my right calf hurt, that's why I came to see you!

      Delete
  2. *hugs* This is super frustrating. I'm sorry you're having to deal with this girly. Sending you good vibes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm trying hard to stay positive, but I am so frustrated and disappointed.

      Delete