Monday, April 27, 2015

S2S - Week 8

Week 8 turned into a week off. For the majority of the week my ankle/foot was too swollen to fit in my running shoes. Even though it wasn't really painful, I took this as a sign that I should stay off of it. The road rash however was a literal pain in the butt. Sitting hurt! Walking hurt! Any sort of movement hurt. Mostly I just laid around trying not to feel guilty for taking another week off.

I was able to test out my injuries on Saturday by chasing my 3 year old niece around the park for an hour. Let me tell you, playground tunnels are not made for 5'8" adults. But all the running/climbing/jumping did not do anything to aggravate my injuries, so I am considering the day a win (any time with my niece is the absolute best!). And that was my entire week.

Adjusting my training plan while I ice my foot.
I was able to do a short run today without any issues. I decided to ice my ankle after the run as a precaution. The bruise is still a bit tender but most of the swelling seems to have disappeared. I am just two weeks away from my first 5k of 2015. Since April has been such a spotty month with getting a chest cold and then falling, I'm a little apprehensive about being able to PR in this race.

On one hand, when I have been running, I have been running longer distances and harder workouts than this time last year (when I set my 22:13 PR). But on the other hand, last year I didn't miss two weeks due to injuries/illness. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the higher mileage weeks (30+ compared to 20+ last year) AND the speed work will pay off on race day. And if not, well, there will always be more races!

7 comments:

  1. So glad to hear you were able to get in a run without any issues! I bet your increased intensity in training this year will help you knock out a PR in your upcoming race, but even if it doesn't happen this time, it will happen in the next race. I am sure all of that training will pay off - it always does! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the vote of confidence! I'm really hoping I can still pull off a PR, even if it is just a few seconds!

      Delete
  2. Awww such a bummer your injury is acting up. The great thing about 5K training is that if you don't PR in this upcoming one, I'm sure you can find several more in the next couple months to redeem yourself. And all the training you did will still be in the bank, it is never just lost.

    I can already tell this is going to be a much more severe cutback week for me than I anticipated. I'm fine but my schedule is so crammed this week and I have a half on Saturday and there's just no way I'm going to get all the miles that I need to this week. I'm trying not to worry about it but you know how we runners are!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I'm already planning another 5k for early June :)

      That sounds frustrating, but heading into your half with extra fresh legs should feel nice! Especially with all of the cumulative fatigue you have building each week.

      Delete
  3. The good thing about 5K's is that you can usually find more of them to run. If you do race, training harder, like you've done, will help on race day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ouch! I'm sorry to hear about your ankle/foot. In my experience, higher mileage really does pay off with faster race times, so hopefully it will all work out in the end. Good luck with your recovery!

    ReplyDelete