I haven't come back quite as quickly after my calf strain as I was hoping. I had hoped to be running 30+ mile weeks by this point, but with those silly hamstring issues, it just hasn't happened. Usually this is the sort of thing that would stress me out, but right now I am really focused on just building my base for my spring races. I probably will not be trying to PR, but it would be nice to see exactly where I am now compared to where I was in September.
How I am training for the next month:
- Increase weekly mileage from the upper 20s to the mid 30s.
- One speed work out per week. I was planning on 1 tempo run per week but ended up doing intervals this week instead (more on this later).
- Baby anything that twinges. More stretching. More foam rolling. Cut back if needed.
- Add in a bit more strengthening. I missed my day of strength training last week and this week is on track for a repeat performance. In an attempt to compensate I have done a bit of core stuff after each run so far this week.
- Eat healthier. I gained a couple pounds while I was injured AND I gained a few more over the holidays. I've been working on this for the past couple weeks and have made good progress. If I can keep it up I should be back at my normal weight before vacation.