Monday, March 2, 2015

Hello, 5k training!

I am feeling super motivated to jump into 5k training this week, which is why you are reading about my next training plan instead of a race recap from the Disney Princess Half Marathon. I am still finalizing that post and should have it up later this week. Sorry for the week+ delay! I like to stay away from the computer while I am on vacation; it is too much like work!

Disney World with my mister.
That said, I am loving that it is the start to a new week, a new month, and a new training plan! It is a wonderful feeling of freshness and I am happily pretending that spring is here as well. As an added bonus, Shanty 2 Shorts has finally updated their website with 2015 registration information so I 100% know when my goal race will be (May 9th, as expected).

For the next 8 weeks my training should look something like this (training plan based on the information found here, but adapted to my current fitness):

Monday: injury prevention 
Will include foam rolling, stretching/yoga, strength training, recovery runs, etc. In my attempt to move from 5 days to 6 days per week of running I am officially changing Mondays from rest days to injury prevention days.

Tuesday: 5k efforts 
A medium length run of 5-7 miles including repetitions at what feels like 5k effort. Reps will be based on time, not distance. My goal is to finish the last rep feeling like I could run 1-2 more reps. So not 100% exhausted but definitely tired. 

Wednesday: Medium run, easy pace
5-7 miles at an easy pace (8:30-9:30 pace)

Thursday: technique drills or hill repeats
Each week will alternate between technique/form drills followed by a medium length run and a medium length run with long hill repeats midway through the run.

Friday: rest day!

Saturday: Medium run, easy pace
same as Wednesday, 5-7 miles

Sunday: Long run
8-12 miles at a slow, easy pace (8:45-9:45).  In general I would prefer these runs to be 10-12 miles minimum, but since I am going to be adding harder running to my weekly routine I am allowing the first few weeks to be a bit shorter if needed.

Hoping this training plan will help me win again in 2015!
The last 2 weeks before the race will be structured a little bit differently. I'll go into more detail when that time comes. In general I plan to be running 30-40 miles per week. This was the distance I was running when I ran a 22:14 in September. But I wasn't doing any speed work AND I did a long run the day before the race. I am hoping that my 5k focused training leads to a fairly substantial PR, though I will be happy with any improvement.

2 comments:

  1. I can't wait to hear about your race!

    I'm interested to see how your 5K training goes. The more I hear people talk about this, the more I want to do it. I don't know when though, because I want to qualify for Boston so I feel like marathons are going to dominate the next couple years of my running. But we'll see!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Boston is one of my long term dreams as well, but I know I have a long way to go before it is even close to being a reality. My sort of long term plan is to improve speed at shorter races and then start applying that speed to longer distances. And maybe in 3-5 years that will lead to a BQ (fingers crossed).

      But I should probably wait until I see how I do in my first marathon this fall before I start making too many plans :)

      Delete